I read an interview with Mircea Miclea about how the Educational System has to change.
Even if we are talking about a child or about an adult, there is a classic theory on intelligence that sustains the learning styles - Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences. This sustains the idea that we have different kind of intelligence (he counted eight). To be efficient, we have to stimulate more types of intelligence.
If you don’t know what type of intelligence describes you the best, you can take this test and then read the below description of them:
- Visual-Spatial Intelligence - these people are often good with directions as well as maps, charts, videos, and pictures. They are good at putting puzzles together, drawing or painting.
- Linguistic-Verbal Intelligence – they are very good at writing stories, memorizing information, and reading. If you have students like them, they are good at debating or explaining things well.
- Logical-Mathematical Intelligence – these people are good at recognizing patterns, and logically analyzing problems. They tend to think in numbers and relationships, and they like to conduct scientific experiments.
- Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence - they are good at performing actions, and physical control. They have excellent hand-eye coordination and dexterity and they tend to remember things by doing, rather than hearing or seeing.
- Musical Intelligence – these ones are good at thinking in rhythms and sounds. They recognize musical patterns and tones easily; they understand musical structure and notes.
- Interpersonal Intelligence – these people are good at understanding and interacting with other people. They see situations from different perspectives and they are good at resolving conflict in groups.
- Intrapersonal Intelligence - they are aware of their own emotional states, feelings, and motivations. They enjoy self-reflection and analysis, including exploring relationships with others and assessing their personal strengths.
- Naturalistic Intelligence – these people are interested in exploring the environment and learning about other species. They may enjoy camping, gardening, hiking, and exploring the outdoors
Why the Educational System has to change? Because students changed and because we (the adults) changed. We can access the information in different styles and the way we learn has to adapt to this.